Surgery postponed indefinitely
To call today frustrating and emotional is a huge understatement. Last week, we met with one pediatric surgeon who wanted Maddie to be at her best before surgery. So the NICU team started to work hard to wean down her vent settings which sent her into a tail spin more then once. We finally found a place where Maddie was more or less stable and kinda kept her there. Every so often we would try to wean, but then return back to these baseline settings before she could get unstable. We assumed these base settings were her best and expected to get the green light for surgery on Friday.
Then the weekend came and the surgeon on duty over the weekend stated she didn’t want to operate on Maddie if she was at her worst. So we worked really hard all weekend to keep her stabilized and show that she can maintain constant stats. We assumed that some consistency in her stats and settings would show she was not at her worst and expected to get the green light for surgery today.
Then today, new surgeon came on. All day we were told to expect surgery after 4:30PM today and the whole team worked together to prep her (and us) for surgery and keep her stats and settings constant. We had some hiccups throughout the day, especially when 2 babies in her bay started to throw fits and it got really loud. About 3 PM, today’s surgeon came by and said that she doesnt like where the vent settings and NO are at all and that she wants to see her weaned down to a regular ventilator (remember right now Maddie is on a oscillating vent) before she’ll operate - even if that takes a week or more.
We had some emotions to deal with after this conversation. We have requested a family meeting with members from both teams so that we can all get on the same page and start working toward a shared goal. That should take place sometime tomorrow.
Our attending tonight was surprised that Maddie’s surgery was postponed and is working pretty aggressively to make the regular vent work. She’s sitting by Maddie’s bedside (along with the nurse and respiratory therapist), almost constantly adjusting settings to see if we can get Maddie to a nice stable place on the regular vent. I’m pretty in love with this woman right now and her determination to get my baby girl better.
We are frustrated. A lot of what is happening right now is because Maddie’s pre-birth ultrasounds showed such a positive prognosis (remember the 95% survivability we were given?) but she is presenting much worse and much sicker then anyone expected. Much more like a baby with a large hole in their diaphragm and with their liver up. So our whole team is having to switch gears and development a new course of treatment for her. There is speculation that her liver may actually be up and that she will likely need a patch and a chest tube - things we weren’t prepared for.
So I’ve been using this word “stable” quite a bit the last few days. In CDH land, the world we now live in, stable means not in immediate mortal danger. Maddie is in a medically induced coma and is only breathing thanks to the machines and medical professionals who surround her. But each procedure, each time they reposition her tiny body , even her first poop tonight, starts a spiral that would led to her body shutting down if not for immediate intervention. Its scary and overwhelming and heartbreaking. But its our world for right now. I mention this so that you understand that even on good days, even on great days, there are no sighs of relief for us - at least not yet.
I mentioned the other day that we started Maddie on a diuretic to start drawing out some of the fluid she is retaining. This is working great and has really helped bring Maddie’s stats back down to a manageable level. As you can see from the pictures below, the swelling in her face and especially her eyes, went down significantly today. Shes beautiful and so sweet to spend time with and so soft to touch.
Tomorrow Luke and I will take a bit of a break from Maddie’s bedside (don’t worry - her grandparents will be there for us) and spend the day playing with Dillan. There is even the possibility of him spending the night with us in a hotel if it looks like Maddie is going to have a quiet night. I’m so very excited to see him - i may jump out of my skin.
Our prayer requests tonight are numerous and a lot of them are very unspecific. But here are two among the rest
Maddie adjust quickly and safely to the new ventilator so we can move ahead with her treatment plan.
Housing for Luke and I. We lose our boarding room in the hospital tomorrow at noon and dont yet know what the plan will be after that. Likely we will stay in a hotel for up to a week while we wait for room at the family house.
This is a long blog. thank you for loving us enough to read all of it.
![]() |
| This evening - No more swelling |
![]() |
| early in the morning - very swollen |


She is absolutely stunning. I commend you for your bravery and poise (at least publicly!) during such a traumatic time. I am so excited to hear that you will have a chance to play with your little dude soon. I'm sure he will breathe hope and vigor into your minds and souls which you can pass along to Miss Maddie. She is an incredibly lucky little girl to have such strong and loving family, staff and all around advocates surrounding her. We are sending you all of our love and positive energy. Let us know if there is anything we can do from afar!
ReplyDeleteLove-
Liz, Rob and Jack
Hi Lisa & family,
ReplyDeleteHang in there! This CDH road is a lifelong one, but right now you are going through one of the hardest times.
Almost one year ago we sat in your shoes, silently saying prayers at my little guys bedside, and obsessivley watching the numbers.
Not sure why your new surgeron wants your little one off the Jet vent (as my guy was on it for surgery & for 2.5 weeks following) but I am sure they have their reasons. And you want your surgeon to be completley comfortable and confident when doing their delicate work. We had a very large hole, required a gortex patch and chest tube. Scary, yes. Will you deal with it if and when you have to, yes again.
My little guy sounds a lot like your little girl, any noise caused a desat, could only be lying in prone position for weeks, simply turning his head was disasterous, but eventually they will grow stronger and stronger.
Keep your spirits up, keep praying and take in all the strength & love you are receiving from family & friends.
Take care, Angela
P.S. If you wish to read about our journey go to ourmiraclemattiaus.blogspot.com or the link on Renee's blog. I am pretty far behind in writing as still in NICU (we were discharged Nov '10) but am trying to catch up. bye!
Hi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteReading your post is like looking into my past. My son Elijah was given 100% survival, 8% chance of ECMO, and less than a month hospital stay. Turns out he was on ECMO within hours and in the hospital for 69 days. I know exactly what you're feeling right now. I think the team meeting is a great idea and even if they have to do surgery while she is "at her worst" it is totally doable. Elijah was on NO, the oscillator and very heavily sedated because his numbers were so bad. They did surgery off ECMO but at his bedside. He is so amazing today, you'd never believe what he's been through. Some babies they even do while still on ECMO and they do fine as well. I hope that everyone gets on the same page and gets surgery done because that is when her body will really be able to heal and grow.
Praying for you all!
Your Maddie is so very beautiful! Like Angela and Bonnie, your elegantly expressed post brings me right back to those days. For me, my Dakota was born more than 7 weeks early on Christmas Day. Our surgeon postponed his vacation to get her on ECMO and stabilized, but then left on a 10 day vacation with his family. There were other surgeons present if we needed them. Dakota came off of ECMO on her 5th day of life, so from day of life 6-13 we were just waiting and waiting for the surgery. She was on an oscillating vent at first, but around day 11 was able to go on the conventional ventilator. Each "stabile" day and good blood gas allowed her settings to be lowered as we waited and waited. I remember one day she had a bad (for her) blood gas and I panicked. I called a meeting and expressed my concern that she was going to start getting worse since her surgery did not happen yet. They explained that she was very stabile and that Dr. Kays was watching all the numbers from his vacation carefully and checking in. The next blood gas came right back up. Finally, he came back, gave me a big hug, and planned for the surgery two days later. He explained that she could have gone to surgery earlier but that in those days of waiting they were able to make some improvements like getting off the oscillator and lowering the settings that would help her recovery. She was stabile as a rock through her recovery! I just remember those emotions like yesterday.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I followed Pearson's story recently. Pearson was just not getting better, so Dr. Kays made the decision to do surgery on ECMO, which he only does as a last resort. It just depends on the baby, and how that particular baby is doing.
Every CDH baby is so different, so special, so peculiar in their journey. Timing seems to be everything and I imagine that is the surgeon's toughest job - to get a sense of what time is the right time. If you don't have complete trust in your surgeon, request another one. I had complete and utter trust in ours and that made all the difference.
Many, many prayers for stabile days and for a smooth surgery at the perfect time! I am thinking of you all and beautiful Maddie!
Hugs,!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jennifer
Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
RCDH survivor
Hi there- Im a cdh mom-to-be and have been following Maddie's progress-I just wanted to let you know that I am sending strength and good thoughts to you and your family from California- I don't consider myself to be a hugely religious person but I do indeed believe in the power of prayer. I know that you have a lot of people praying for you and praying that Maddie gets her surgery when she needs it and when the time is right. Though I can't imagine the frustration of what you are going through, I hope you can keep faith that things will unfold when they are supposed to. Maybe all of us praying for the time to be right for her surgery is the reason it is being held off. I know it doesnt make it any easier for you all but sometimes our prayers are answered in ways we don't expect. I don't pretend to know why things happen when they do, but when I think that we are all praying for the right time, I can't help but think that the prayers are being answered. Sending all the best to you and your family and to Maddie- many many blessings.
ReplyDeleteLisa: Thanks for your blog - it enables me to be tuned in to Maddie's progress daily. thanks for keeping us updated. i don't really understand how you can do all this in the midst of what you're going through. we are praying for you and your surgeons and God's perfect timing. you guys are my heroes. hang in there.
ReplyDeleteJan Odell (one of Stan and Ruthie's buddies)
much much love to you and Luke
I remember those feelings...I was so anxious for my son Ramsey's repair and so fearful that we would lose the window of opportunity. Today, I praise his surgeon for having the conviction to wait until the time was right instead of listening to others, who like me were anxious for the surgery to take place. I will pray that Maddie's surgery is done at the perfect time for her, and that you may have patience and understanding as you wait.
ReplyDeleteLisa
rootingforramsey.blogspot.com
I have no idea what you are going through, but I do know that we serve the same God who healed and rose from the dead. Please know that we are praying for you and your family during this time.
ReplyDelete(WE are friends with Sara and Jason Sparks: that is how I found you!)
Blessings and prayers,
The Bergers